Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Mother goes to see a counsellor

Today is raining and apparently it's going to rain for 3 days which is great because otherwise there might be a drought like most of my childhood in Cornwall in the 70's. My Lily of The Valley is starting to grow quite nicely so soon I'll have nice smelly flowers in my house. Hooray. Currently listening to Kate Bush's latest album which I like very much. Also currently listening to Cat Stevens, I'm Being Good, John Cooper Clarke and Ninety Nine. A right old mixture I know. Reading a book on William Blake but unfortunately it's from the 1940's so some of it is incomprehensibly written - way too complicated and flowery but I determined to finish it with the aid of a dictionary. My mum made me cry with laughter on the phone today, telling me about the time she went for counselling.
'God, I was dead nervous. I said to Noel (my dad) what the bloody hell am I going to talk about? He said, don't worry, you'll get in there and it'll all flow out. I thought "I bet it won't, I haven't got anything to say". Anyway, I got there and started talking and I COULDN'T STOP! I was like a train, rattling along. I told him everything, all this stuff was pouring out of me, stuff about my childhood and all sorts. Well he didn't say a word and I think at one point he nodded off. So I went home and I said to Noel " I talked and talked and he didn't say anything. That's not much bloody use is it?" And he said, well, what he'll do you see is he will have been listening and next week when you go back he'll pick back up on some of the things you said. So I went back the next week and the same thing happened again. I talked non stop and it got to about quarter to five - we were meant to stop at five - and he said, 'well, I think we might as well stop there, there's nothing wrong with you but if you want another appointment then make one through your doctor and by the way I like your bag'. So I went home and Noel said 'what did he say?' and I replied well, I'm not mad and he likes my bag. And that was that.
Maybe it's not so funny without mum's phenomenal delivery. She has the merest hint of a Coventry accent and is a fantastically funny story teller. We ended the call with her saying that she needs to write to Alan Bennett to tell him to watch me in I Deal on BBC3 next week. She made it sound like he'd better watch out because a meteor was about to land in his front room. Mum's trying to get Alan Bennett (she doesn't know him, they just write to each other. She thinks she's one up on him because she's read a Russian author that he hasn't 'and he went to Oxford') to cast me in one of his plays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home